Stoodley Pike and the mist over Hebden Bridge

This is one of the rare moments when a photo opportunity slaps you in the face!

Mist Over Hebden Bridge Yorkshire
Mist Over Hebden Bridge Yorkshire

Stoodley Pike is a 1,300-foot (400 m) hill in the south Pennines, noted for the 121 feet (37 m) Stoodley Pike Monument at its summit, which dominates the moors of the upper Calder Valley in the civil parish of Todmorden near the villages of Mankinholes and Lumbutts, West Yorkshire, England. The monument was designed in 1854 by local architect James Green, and completed in 1856 at the end of the Crimean War. The monument replaced an earlier structure, started in 1814 and commemorating the defeat of Napoleon and the surrender of Paris. It was completed in 1815, after the Battle of Waterloo (Napoleonic Wars), but collapsed in 1854 after an earlier lightning strike, and decades of weathering.[1] Its replacement was therefore built slightly further from the edge of the hill. During repair work in 1889 a lightning conductor was added, and although the tower has since been struck by lightning on numerous occasions, no notable structural damage is evident. There is evidence to suggest that some sort of structure existed on the site even before the earlier structure was built. The monument is located approximately 2 miles south west of Hebden Bridge and approximately 2.5 miles east of Todmorden town centre. The inscription above the entrance is worn and covered with lichen but it is legible and reads: STOODLEY PIKE A BEACON MONUMENT ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION COMMENCED IN 1814 TO COMMEMORATE THE SURRENDER OF PARIS TO THE ALLIES AND FINISHED AFTER THE BATTLE OF WATERLOO WHEN PEACE WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1815. BY A STRANGE COINCIDENCE THE PIKE FELL ON THE DAY THE RUSSIAN AMBASSADOR LEFT LONDON BEFORE THE DECLARATION OF WAR WITH RUSSIA IN 1854. WAS REBUILT WHEN PEACE WAS RESTORED IN 1856 RESTORED AND LIGHTNING CONDUCTOR FIXED 1889 The site is accessible on well defined Right of Way footpaths and the moor surrounding it is on Access Land. There is no vehicular or bicycle access to the monument. The Pike stands on Langfield Common, and therefore is the responsib
Stoodley Pike is a 1,300-foot (400 m) hill in the south Pennines, noted for the 121 feet (37 m) Stoodley Pike Monument at its summit, which dominates the moors of the upper Calder Valley in the civil parish of Todmorden near the villages of Mankinholes and Lumbutts, West Yorkshire, England. The monument was designed in 1854 by local architect James Green, and completed in 1856 at the end of the Crimean War.
The monument replaced an earlier structure, started in 1814 and commemorating the defeat of Napoleon and the surrender of Paris. It was completed in 1815, after the Battle of Waterloo (Napoleonic Wars), but collapsed in 1854 after an earlier lightning strike, and decades of weathering.[1] Its replacement was therefore built slightly further from the edge of the hill. During repair work in 1889 a lightning conductor was added, and although the tower has since been struck by lightning on numerous occasions, no notable structural damage is evident. There is evidence to suggest that some sort of structure existed on the site even before the earlier structure was built. The monument is located approximately 2 miles south west of Hebden Bridge and approximately 2.5 miles east of Todmorden town centre.
The inscription above the entrance is worn and covered with lichen but it is legible and reads:
STOODLEY PIKE
A BEACON MONUMENT
ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
COMMENCED IN 1814 TO COMMEMORATE
THE SURRENDER OF PARIS TO THE ALLIES
AND FINISHED AFTER THE BATTLE OF
WATERLOO WHEN PEACE WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1815.
BY A STRANGE COINCIDENCE
THE PIKE FELL ON THE DAY THE RUSSIAN
AMBASSADOR LEFT LONDON BEFORE THE
DECLARATION OF WAR WITH RUSSIA IN 1854.
WAS REBUILT WHEN PEACE WAS RESTORED IN
1856
RESTORED AND LIGHTNING CONDUCTOR FIXED
1889
The site is accessible on well defined Right of Way footpaths and the moor surrounding it is on Access Land. There is no vehicular or bicycle access to the monument. The Pike stands on Langfield Common, and therefore is the responsib